Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is a scheme for Providing Free LPG connections to Women from BPL Households launched by Government of India in May, 2016.
Under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana scheme, Rs 8000 crore has been earmarked for providing five crore LPG connections to BPL households. The Scheme provides a financial support of Rs 1600 for each LPG connection to the BPL households.
Period of scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana scheme would be implemented over three years, namely, the FY 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19.
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is the implementing the scheme.
Need for the scheme?
According to WHO estimates, about 5 lakh deaths in India alone due to unclean cooking fuels. Most of these premature deaths were due to non-communicable diseases such as heart disease, stroke, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and lung cancer. Indoor air pollution is also responsible for a significant number of acute respiratory illnesses in young children. Providing LPG connections to BPL households will ensure universal coverage of cooking gas in the country. This measure will empower women and protect their health. It will reduce drudgery and the time spent on cooking. It will also provide employment for rural youth in the supply chain of cooking gas.
Identification of beneficiaries
Identification of the BPL families will be done through Socio Economic Caste Census Data – 2011.
Outcomes of the scheme
- An additional employment of around 1 Lakh.
- It will provide business opportunity of at least Rs. 10,000 Cr. over the next 3 Years to the Indian Industry.
- It will also provide a great boost to the ‘Make in India’ campaign as all the manufacturers of cylinders, gas stoves, regulators, and gas hose are domestic
- Cabinet has approved to enhance the target of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) from five crore to eight crore with an additional allocation of Rs. 4,800 crore.
- A survey report by the National Statistical Office (NSO) only 61 per cent of the total households in India used LPG for cooking in 2018
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation (HPCL) has started the auto-booking of cylinders for inactive connections
- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas recently announced that more than 14 crores of free of cost cylinders have been provided under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana to the beneficiaries of the scheme during covid-19 crisis.
Click to go to RBI Grade B Preparation Page | Click to read more government schemes
Tags: pradhan mantri ujjwala yojana pdf, pradhan mantri ujjwala yojana upsc, pradhan mantri ujjwala yojana 2019, pmuy yojana, pmuy upsc, pmuy scheme, pmuy full form