The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, or ASEAN, was established on 8 August 1967 in Bangkok, Thailand, with the signing of the ASEAN Declaration (Bangkok Declaration) by the founding members of ASEAN, namely Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.
The ASEAN Charter serves as a firm foundation in achieving the ASEAN Community by providing legal status and institutional framework for ASEAN. It also codifies ASEAN norms, rules and values; sets clear targets for ASEAN; and presents accountability and compliance.
The secretariat of ASEAN is situated at Jakarta, Indonesia.
Members of ASEAN
There are ten member states of ASEAN as follows:
- Brunei Darussalam
- Lao PDR
Objectives of ASEAN
- To accelerate the economic growth, social progress and cultural development in the region through joint endeavours in the spirit of equality and partnership in order to strengthen the foundation for a prosperous and peaceful community of Southeast Asian Nations
- To promote regional peace and stability through abiding respect for justice and the rule of law in the relationship among countries of the region and adherence to the principles of the United Nations Charter
- To promote active collaboration and mutual assistance on matters of common interest in the economic, social, cultural, technical, scientific and administrative fields
- To provide assistance to each other in the form of training and research facilities in the educational, professional, technical and administrative spheres
- To collaborate more effectively for the greater utilisation of their agriculture and industries, the expansion of their trade, including the study of the problems of international commodity trade, the improvement of their transportation and communications facilities and the raising of the living standards of their peoples
- To promote Southeast Asian studies
- To maintain close and beneficial cooperation with existing international and regional organisations with similar aims and purposes, and explore all avenues for even closer cooperation among themselves
The ASEAN Summit is a semi-annual meeting held by its members. As on date there are thirty one ASEAN Summits held. The 31st summit held at Manila, Philippines from 13 – 14 November 2017.
- Philippines was the Chair of ASEAN for year 2017 and the theme of its ASEAN Chairmanship was “Partnering for Change, Engaging The World.”
- Singapore is the Chair of ASEAN for year 2018.
« Go back to RBI Grade B homepage