Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins Initiative: Aim, Features
The Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins initiative has been launched by three oil marketing companies – Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (IOCL), Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL). As per National Family Health Survey (NFHS) report, about 33.5 percent of women uses sanitary pad in Odisha. To get away with this shortage, the three companies will set up 100 manufacturing units at the Common Service Centres (CSC) covering 100 Blocks across 30 districts of Odisha at an estimated cost of Rs 2.94 crore.
Aim of Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins Initiative
The mission, which forms part of the CSR initiative of OMCs in Odisha, is aimed to educate women on female hygiene and health, improve accessibility to low cost eco-friendly sanitary pads and boost rural employment and economy
Features of Scheme
- At least 10 Ujjwala beneficiary women will get employment at each CSC.
- Each facility will have a capacity to produce 1,200-2,000 pads per day
- Every facility will have a sterilisation room to ensure that the napkins are sterilised before they are packed for use by rural women.
- The CSCs are also being provided with raw material, enough to make 45,000-50,000 pads.
- These napkins will be priced at Rs 40 per pack, each containing eight pads.
- The Ujjwala pads will be made of virgin wood pulp sheet, non-woven white sheet and a gel sheet which are all biodegradable in nature and will leave minimal carbon footprint.
We hope you liked this article on Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins Initiative. Here are some useful government scheme for you to read next:
- Pradhan Mantri JI VAN Yojana (PMJVY)
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN)
- Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PMSYM)
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY)
Tags: Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins Initiative, Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins, Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins Scheme, Ujjwala Sanitary Napkins Yojana