Swachh Bharat Abhiyan #CleanIndia
Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, a five year campaign is an initiative launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on October 2, 2014 to achieve the goal of cleanliness and sanitation. As per plan, the project is to achieve the Clean India by October 2, 2019 on the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. PM has urged every citizen to devote at least 100 hours every year towards cleanliness.
Even after 67 years of independence, 60% of country’s population is devoid of proper sanitation facilities. PM has pledged to provide every household to have toilet by 2019. As per UN report, half of the population of India practice defecation in open. According to WHO, poor sanitation costs India Rs. 6500 every year.
Appearing to be inspired by ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Prime Minister Modi nominated nine people to spread awareness about cleanliness. These includes cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, Industrialist Anil Ambani, Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor, films actors Salman Khan, Priyanka Chopra and Kamal Hassan, Goa Governor Mridula Sinha, yoga guru Ramdev and the team of TV serial “Tarak Mehta Ka Ulta Chashma”. He also urged them to nominate nine more people to join the campaign and continue the chain.
Initiatives under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Various initiatives have been taken up to achieve the objective. Some of the these are:
- Clean School:
According to Union Human Resource Development Ministry, PM has set up the August 15, 2015 as deadline by when all the schools in the country should have separate toilets for girls to realize ‘clean school’ objective.
- The ministry of Urban Development and Rural Development will spend Rs. 2 lakh crore on the mission over next five years. Out of Rs. 2 lakh crore, Rs. 1.34 crore will be indulged in rural areas.
- Industry body CII will work with companies to help mobilize construction of 10,000 toilets in schools across the country by FY 2015-16.
- L&T pledged to build 5000 toilets.
- Bharti Foundation has committed Rs.100 crore to build toilets in Ludhiana.
- India’s biggest software export firm Tata Consultancy services has pledged 100 crore for building sanitation facilities for girls in 10,000 schools
- Vendata group to build 10,000 toilets in addition to the 30,000 it is already building in a partnership with Rajasthan government.
- Global hotel chain Carlson Rezidor will build toilets in the Delhi-NCR area for girls in schools.
Swachh Bharat Summer Internship (SBSI) Programme
Under SBSI, every student have to devote 100 hours for swachhata related activities in rural areas between 1st May and 31st July, 2018. The programme was intended to give youth across the country an opportunity to make a significant contribution to the swachhta revolution.
We request all of our readers to take part in ‘Clean India’/‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ as it is responsibility of every citizen to keep the country clean. Government will change but citizen will be same, so lets’ change our attitude and take pledge that we will clean our country.
Swachh Sundar Shauchalaya
Swachh Sundar Shauchalaya is a month-long campaign commenced on 1st January 2019. The campaign comprises a unique Contest, under which, households are being mobilised to paint and decorate their toilets. Each household owner shall be motivated to beautify their toilets by freshly painting and decorating it creatively, including Swachh Bharat logos and safe sanitation messaging
Darwaza Band Campaign
The campaign titled ‘Darwaza Band’ to promote toilet use and freedom from open defecation across the country’s villages. The campaign has been supported by the World Bank and is being rolled out countrywide. The ‘Darwaza Band- Part 2’ campaign is also supported by the World Bank and will be rolled out countrywide.
The sanitation coverage in rural India has already crossed 98%,with over 9 crore toilets built under Swachh Bharat Mission (Grameen) since its launch.
You may also like to read more such scheme:
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY)
- Everything you need to know about MPLADS Scheme
- National Nutrition Mission – Scheme for Suposhit Bharat
- Atal Pension Yojana (APY)
Tags: swachh bharat mission, swachh bharat campaign, swachh bharat mission urban, swachh bharat abhiyan information, bharat swachata abhiyan, swachh bharat abhiyan urban