What is Stock Exchange : BSE vs NSE
Stock Exchange is a marketplace to make sale and purchase of securities. It is an organised market where market forces determine the price of stocks (Shares). There are around 23 stock exchanges in India, but the majority of trading is done at BSE and NSE.
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) was established in 1875 under banyan trees. It is Asia first stock exchange and has distinction of fastest in world with trading speed of as low as 6 micro seconds. It was established as “The Nature Share & Stock Brockers” in 1875.
- It performs trading in equity, currencies, debt instruments, derivatives, mutual funds etc.
- It has platform for trading in equities of Small and Medium Enterprises (SME)
- India INX, India’s first international stock exchange located at GIFT City, IFSC in Ahmedabad is a fully owned subsidiary of BSE.
- It is first stock exchange in India and second in the world to obtain ISO 9001: 2000 certifications.
- It also provides depository services CSDL.
- S&P BSE Sensex is a benchmark equity index widely followed in stock market
- Chairman of BSE: S. Ravi
- MD & CEO of BSE: Ashish kumar Chauhan
BSE Recent Initiatives
- BSE has launched ‘BSE StAR MF’ app to enable more participation and help mutual fund distributors process transactions faster.
National Stock Exchange
National Stock Exchange (NSE) was incorporated in 1992 and began operations in 1994. It is one of the leading stock exchanges in India. It started screen based trading in 1994, derivative trading and internet trading in 2000.
- It provides services like exchange listing, trading services, clearing and settlement services, indices, market data feeds, technology solutions and financial education offerings.
- Ashok Chawla is the chairman of NSE
- Vikram Limaye is MD & CEO of NSE
We hope you liked this article on Stock Exchanges. Here are some useful articles for you to read next:
- Union Budget Terminology – CFI, Public Accounts
- Ways and Means Advance
- Types of Unemployment
- National Health Policy 2017 Highlights