Human Resource Development: Definitions, Needs, Concept
Human Resource Development (HRD) is the process of helping people to acquire competencies and skills so as to ensure their usefulness to the organisation in terms of both present and future organizational conditions. It also helps the employees to understand their own capabilities better so that they can best utilise them and also fulfill their expectation both professional and personal.
Human Resource Development (HRD) is a recent new systematic approach to proactively deal with issues related to individual employees, teams and the total organisation.
Important Definitions of HRD
- HRD is the integrated use of training and development, career development, and organisational development to improve individual and organisational effectiveness
- HRD is the study and practice of increasing the learning capacity of individuals, groups, and organisations through development and applications of learning based intervention for the purpose of optimizing human and organisation growth and effectiveness
- HRD develops available manpower through suitable methods such as training, promotions, transfers and opportunities for career development. It is a systematic approach to deal with issues related to individual employees, teams and an organisation
What is the need of Human Resource Development (HRD)?
People need competencies (knowledge, attitudes, values and skills) to perform tasks. Higher degree and quality of performance of tasks requires higher level of degree of skills. Without continuous development of competencies in people, an organisation is not likely to achieve its goals.
Any organisation that is interested in improving its services and its effectiveness needs to develop its employee competencies to perform the tasks required to bring about such improvements
The HRD is required for:
- Growth of organisation.
- Diversification in an organisation
- Renewing itself to become more effective
- Improving the systems and services of an organisation
- Change and becoming more dynamic
- Playing leadership roles
Concept of HRD
The concept of Human Resource assumes that human beings are a great asset to an organization. They can contribute a great deal to the achievement of organisational goals. This positive view of people working in the organisations as an asset with unlimited potential is the core of the concept of the human resource system.
HRD is a process of helping people to acquire competencies. HRD is needed by any organisation that wants to be dynamic and growth-oriented or to succeed in a fast-changing environment. Organisations can become dynamic and grow only through the efforts and competencies of their human resources
We hope you liked this article. Here are few useful articles for you to read next:
- What is Nature and Scope of Management
- What is Communication and Functions of Communication
- Principles of Corporate Governance (RATF)
- Functions of Management or The Management Processes
Tags: Human Resource Development meaning, Human Resource Development pdf, hrd full form, hrd concept, concept of Human Resource Development