Functions of FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India)
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been established under Food Safety and Standards , 2006 to handle food related issues in various Ministries and Departments. FSSAI has been created for laying down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption. One of the functions of FSSAI is to maintain the quality of food in the country.
Head Office of FSSAI
The head office of FSSAI is situated at Delhi.
Functions of FSSAI
The important functions of FSSAI:
- Framing of Regulations to lay down the Standards and guidelines in relation to articles of food and specifying appropriate system of enforcing various standards thus notified.
- Laying down mechanisms and guidelines for accreditation of certification bodies engaged in certification of food safety management system for food businesses.
- Laying down procedure and guidelines for accreditation of laboratories and notification of the accredited laboratories.
- To provide scientific advice and technical support to Central Government and State Governments in the matters of framing the policy and rules in areas which have a direct or indirect bearing of food safety and nutrition.
- Collect and collate data regarding food consumption, incidence and prevalence of biological risk, contaminants in food, residues of various, contaminants in foods products, identification of emerging risks and introduction of rapid alert system.
- Creating an information network across the country so that the public, consumers, Panchayats etc receive rapid, reliable and objective information about food safety and issues of concern.
- Provide training programmes for persons who are involved or intend to get involved in food businesses.
- Contribute to the development of international technical standards for food, sanitary and phyto-sanitary standards.
- Promote general awareness about food safety and food standards.
Chairman and CEO of FSSAI
The chairperson of FSSAI is Ms Rita Teaotia and CEO is Shri Pawan Kumar Agarwal
We hope you liked this article on functions of FSSAI. Here are some useful articles for you to read next: