DDU GKY – Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU GKY), a part of the National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) was launched on 25th September 2014 with the aim to transform rural poor youth into an economically independent and globally relevant workforce.
The objective is to add diversity to the incomes of rural poor families and cater to the career aspirations of rural youth.
Issues addressed by scheme
Over 180 million or 69% of the country’s youth population between the ages of 18 and 34 years, live in its rural areas. Of these, the bottom of the pyramid (BoP) youth from poor families with no or marginal employment is about 55 million. The scheme envisaged to target these youth and transform them into economically independent unit of society.
According to FICCI and Ernst – Young study published in 2013, there is a shortage of over 47 million skilled workers across the globe by 2020. This presents an unprecedented opportunity for India to train its 55 million BoP youth population and place them in jobs across the world and realize its demographic dividend.
Features of scheme
- The scheme is focused on rural youth between the ages of 15 and 35 years from poor families.
- It plays an instrumental role in supporting the social and economic programs of the government like the Make In India, Digital India, Smart Cities and Start-Up India, Stand-Up India campaigns
Ministry of Rural Development under Government of India looks after the scheme.
- DDU-GKY is present in 21 States and UTs, across 568 districts, impacting youth from over 6,215 blocks
- Currently over 690 projects being implemented by over 300 partners, in more than 330 trades from 82 industry sectors
- Over 2.7 Lakh candidates have been trained
- Over 1.34 Lakh candidates have been placed in jobs
- From 2012, so far an investment of more than INR 5,600 Crores has been made.
Initiatives under DDU GKY
- Himayat: A special scheme for the youth (rural & urban) of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Roshni: A special initiative for the rural youth of poor families in 27 Left-wing Extremist (LWE) districts across 9 states.
- Northeast Region: 10% of DDU-GKY programme funds are reserved for projects in North-East, wherein the centre contributes 90% of training costs to ensure opportunities for rural youth from North-East.
Tags: ddu gky, deen dayal upadhyaya grameen kaushalya yojana, ddu gky guidelines, ddu gky scheme, deen dayal upadhyay gramin kaushal yojana, deen dayal upadhyay skill development scheme, deen dayal skill development programme, ddu gky info, deen dayal grameen kaushalya yojana, deen dayal upadhyaya grameen kaushalya yojana guidelines, deen dayal upadhyaya grameen kaushalya yojana details, grameen kaushalya yojana, din dayal upadhyay gramin kaushal yojana, ddu grameen kaushalya yojana, ddugky, pandit deen dayal upadhyaya grameen kaushalya yojana