Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
DeenDayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana is a Government of India scheme designed to provide continuous power supply to rural India.
What problems the scheme will address?
- The rural agricultural and non-Agriculture consumers (domestic and non-domestic load) of the country are generally serviced through the local distribution network. Many rural areas of the country face insufficient electricity supply, consequently the distribution utilities are forced to resort to load shedding, thus affecting the power supply to both Agriculture and non-Agriculture consumers.
- The demand of power in rural areas is increasing day by day due to changing consumer base, improving living standards for which augmentation of rural infrastructure needs to be regularly undertaken
- The investment in the distribution network is low due to bad financial health of the distribution companies. Therefore in order to augment the reliability and quality of supply distribution network needs to be strengthened.
- To improve the commercial viability of power distribution, there is need for metering of all categories of the consumers
Objectives of the scheme
- To provide electrification to all villages
- Feeder separation to ensure sufficient power to farmers and regular supply to other consumers
- Improvement of Sub-transmission and distribution network to improve the quality and reliability of the supply
- Metering to reduce the losses
The Scheme has an outlay of Rs 76000 crore for implementation of the projects under which Government of India shall provide Grant of Rs 63000 crore.
Consequences of the scheme
- All villages and households shall be electrified
- Increase in agriculture yield
- Business of Small and household enterprises shall grow resulting into new avenues for employment
- Improvement in Health, Education, Banking (ATM) services
- Improvement in accessibility to radio, telephone, television, internet and mobile etc
- Betterment in social security due to availability of electricity
- Accessibility of electricity to schools, panchayats, hospitals and police stations etc
- Rural areas shall get increased opportunities for comprehensive development