Agriculture Export Policy 2018 (AEP-2018)
The government of India has approved the Agriculture Export Policy 2018 with the vision of Harnessing export potential of Indian agriculture, through suitable policy instruments, to make India global power in agriculture and raise farmers’ income. The policy will also give a big push to food processing/manufacturing to have much higher growth in food production which will increase India’s share of value added processed products in its Agriculture export basket at the global level.
Objectives of Agriculture Export Policy, 2018
The objectives of the Agriculture Export Policy 2018 are:
- To double agricultural exports from present ~US$ 30+ Billion to ~US$ 60+ Billion by 2022 and reach US$ 100 Billion in the next few years thereafter, with a stable trade policy regime.
- To diversify our export basket, destinations and boost high value and value added agricultural exports including focus on perishables.
- To promote novel, indigenous, organic, ethnic, traditional and non-traditional Agri products exports.
- To provide an institutional mechanism for pursuing market access, tackling barriers and deal with sanitary and phyto-sanitary issues.
- To strive to double India’s share in world agri exports by integrating with global value chain at the earliest.
- Enable farmers to get benefit of export opportunities in overseas market.
Elements of the Agriculture Export Policy
The policy recommendations are organized in two broad categories:
- Strategic Recommendations:
- Policy Measures
- Infrastructure and Logistics Support
- Holistic Approach to boost exports
- Greater involvement of State Governments in Agri Exports
- Operational Recommendations:
- Focus on Clusters
- Promoting Value added exports
- Marketing and promotion of “Brand India”
- Attract private investments into production and processing
- Establishment of Strong Quality Regimen
- Research & Development
We hope you liked this article on Agriculture Export Policy 2018. Here are some useful articles for you to read next:
- National Digital Communication Policy 2018
- Objectives of National Environment Policy (NEP), 2006
- National Health Policy 2017 Highlights
- Industrial Policy of India Since Independence