Daily GK Potion – 9th and 10th June 2015
- IIFA 2015 awards announced in Malaysia
- Vikas Bahl’s drama ‘Queen’ and Vishal Bhardwaj’s ‘Haider’ on Sunday scooped major trophies at the 16th IIFA awards, including the best actress honour for Kangana Ranaut.
- Best Film: Queen.
- Best Director: Rajkumar Hirani – PK.
- Best Actor In A Leading Role: Shahid Kapoor –Haider as Haider Meer.
- Best Actress In A Leading Role: Kangana Ranaut – Queen as Rani Mehra.
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role: Riteish Deshmukh – Ek Villain as Rakesh Mahadkar.
- Best Actress In A Supporting Role: Tabu – Haider as Ghazala Meer.
- Male Debutant Star: Tiger Shroff – Heropanti as Bablu.
- Female Debutant Star: Kriti Sanon – Heropanti as Dimpy.
- Best Performance In A Comic Role: Varun Dhawan– Main Tera Hero as Seenu.
- Best Performance In A Negative Role: Kay Kay Menon– Haider as Khurram Meer.
- Best Story: Vikas Bahl, Chaitally Parmar, Parveez Shaikh- Queen.
- National Capital Region gets bigger as Jind, Karnal and Muzaffarnagar get included
- The National Capital Region (NCR) got bigger with the addition of Jind and Karnal districts in Haryana and Muzaffarnagar district in Uttar Pradesh.
- Inclusion in to the region is expected to raise property prices in these areas over the medium term as infrastructure and connectivity with Delhi improve.
- Cities in the NCR get special funds from the NCRPB for development of both physical and social infrastructure.
- RBI issues draft norms on rupee-linked bonds overseas
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on Tuesday said that Indian corporates, eligible to raise external commercial borrowings (ECBs), are permitted to issue rupee- linked bonds overseas.
- In the first bi-monthly monetary policy, the RBI had proposed to expand the scope of issuance of rupee-linked bond overseas by the international financial institutions as also permit Indian corporates, eligible to raise ECBs.
- The RBI proposed that the subscription, coupon payments and redemption might be settled in foreign currency.
- It also stipulated the coupon on the bonds should not be more than 500 basis points above the sovereign yield of the Government of India security of corresponding maturity as per the FIMMDA yield curve prevailing on the date of issue.
- ICICI Bank appoints M K Sharma as new non-executive chairman
- ICICI Bank on Tuesday announced the appointment of M K Sharma, a former vice chairman of Hindustan Unilever Limited, as the non-executive chairman for a period of five years, in place of K V Kamath.
- Kamath would shortly step down from the bank’s board, consequent to his nomination as the first president of the New Development Bank, established by BRICS nations.
- Sharma is an independent director of several leading companies and has been a member of government committees relating to corporate law and corporate governance.
- Currently, he is an independent director of two subsidiaries of the bank – ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company and ICICI Prudential Asset Management Company.
- RBI debt recast norms: Banks will be left holding the bag if no buyers for firms turn up
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has permitted banks to take control of 51 percent of stake in a company that has failed to recover financial health even after a period of financial restructuring, typically due to management inefficiency or other factors.
- This provision, part of the strategic debt restructuring exercise (SDR), is aimed at ensuring promoters of defaulted companies have more ‘skin in the game’.
- Theoretically, the new rule, if it comes with correct pricing for equity conversion for banks, will enable lenders to push a takeover of a firm or exit at a better price.
- ISRO bags Space Pioneer Award for its Mars mission
- The country’s low-cost Mars mission which is in rendezvous with the red planet for an extended period has been presented with the Space Pioneer award for the year 2015 by the US’ National Space Society.
- Space Pioneer award for the year 2015 was presented to Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in the Science and Engineering category during the 34th Annual International Space Development Conference held at Toronto in Canada.
Read previous: « Daily GK Potion – 7th and 8th June 2015