Daily GK Potion – 29th January 2015
- Jaishankar replaces Sujatha Singh as Foreign Secretary
- CCEA clears HDFC Bank’s proposal to raise Rs 10,000 cr
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on Wednesday cleared a proposal of HDFC Bank to raise Rs 10,000 crore from foreign investors.
- The meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, approved the HDFC Bank proposal that will raise its foreign holding to 74 per cent.
- Banks can have up to 49 per cent foreign investment without regulatory approval but require approval from RBI and the FIPB if they want to increase the foreign investment limit to 74 per cent.
- India to host Twenty20 World Cup in March-April 2016: ICC
- India is all set to host the next Twenty20 World Cup, scheduled to be held from March 11 to April 3 in 2016.
- The board also approved the dates for the 2017 Champions Trophy in England which will be held between June 1 and 19.
- England will also host the 50-over World Cup in 2019 from May 30 to June 15.
- The 2017 Women’s World Cup will be held in England between August 4 and 27, the 2018 Women’s World Twenty20 will be organised in the West Indies between November 2 and 25.
- Nation pays tribute to Lala Lajpat Rai on his 150th birth anniversary
- ICC ends Amir’s ban
- The ICC has allowed Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir to return to domestic cricket early from his five-year ban for involvement in spot-fixing.
- Amir (22) was jailed for six months and banned for his part in a spot-fixing scam during Pakistan’s tour of England in 2010.
- Amir’s five-year ban for his role in spot-fixing was due to end on September 2, 2015, but he has been cleared to play domestic cricket in Pakistan.
Advertisement by Google