Daily GK Potion – 24th December 2015
Advertisement by Google
- National Consumers Right Day observed across India on 24 December
- National Consumers Right Day was observed across India today. The day is being observed on 24 December, since the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 was enacted on this day in 1986.
- The Consumer Protection Act was enacted in 1986 with the objective of providing better protection of consumer’s interest
- The Act envisages the promotion and protection of following rights for the consumers: Right to Safety, Right to be informed, Right to Choose, Right to be heard.
- Reserve Bank today extended the deadline for exchanging pre-2005 currency notes of various denominations, including Rs 500 and Rs 1,000, by another six months to June 30, 2016
- The Reserve Bank had, in June 2015, set the last date for public to exchange pre-2005 banknotes notes as December 31, 2015.
- However, RBI added that from January 1, 2016, such facility will only be available at identified bank branches and Issue Offices of the Reserve Bank
- Over 164 crore pre-2005 currency notes of various denominations, including of Rs 1,000 were shredded in regional offices of Reserve Bank in 13-month period ending January, as per official data.
- The face value of the shredded currency notes was around Rs 21,750 crore.
- In a bid to let farmers harvest the best of mobile technology, the Agriculture Ministry on Wednesday launched two mobile apps for farmers
- Mobile app — ‘Crop Insurance’ would help the farmers not only to find out complete details about insurance cover available in their area but also to calculate the insurance premium for notified crops, coverage amount and loan amount in case of a loaned farmer.
- The other app — ‘AgriMarket’ could be used by the farmers to get the prices of crops in the market (mandi) within 50 km radius of the device and other mandis in the country.
- Dr. Rakesh K. Jain, an Indian American professor at Harvard Medical School, will be presented with the National Medal of Science by President Barack Obama.
- Jain, who is also the director of tumor biology laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital, has a B.Tech in Chemical Engineering from IIT-Kanpur. He, along with 16 other winners will receive the honor at a White House ceremony early next month.
- The White House on Tuesday described the medals as “our nation’s highest honours for achievement and leadership in advancing the fields of science and technology.”