Daily GK Potion – 19th – 20th October 2014
- BJP wins majority in Haryana; becomes single largest party in Maharashtra
- BJP has won the clear majority in Haryana winning 47 seats out of 90.
- In Maharashtra, BJP became the single largest party with 122 seats out of 288. This is the first time that BJP has crossed 100 mark in Maharashtra.
- UN declared Nigeria Ebola free
- After six weeks with no new case, Nigeria has been declared Ebola free.
- WHO Representative Rui Gama Vaz, speaking in the capital Abuja, said it was a “spectacular success story”.
- The outbreak has killed more than 4,500 people in West Africa, mostly in Liberia, Guinea, and Sierra Leone.
- Joko Widodo sworn in as President of Indonesia
- Mr. Joko, 53 years old, is the first Indonesian president not to have emerged from the country’s political elite or to have been an army general.
- He succeeded Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who stepped down after serving two five-year terms.
- Indonesia is the fourth most populous country.
- Five year old becomes youngest to reach Mt. Everest
- Five year old Harshit Saumitra became the youngest to reach the base camp of Mount Everest.
- Harshit, a class I student in a school in the national capital, broke the previous record held by seven-year-old Aaryan Balaji, also an Indian, who had reached the base camp in 2012.