Daily GK Potion – 18th November 2014
- India has most number of people in slaves category
- As per 2014 Global Slavery Index (GSI), India topped the chart with 14.2 million people involved in forced labour and being victims of trafficking.
- Globally, 35.8 million people are enslaved across the world.
- 23.5 million people are in Asia, two-thirds of global total in 2014 (65.8%).
- The 2014 Global Slavery Index (GSI) has been published by the Walk Free Foundation, a global human rights organization with a mission to end modern slavery in a generation.
- IMRB International has been declared ‘The MR Agency of the Year 2014’ retaining its title for the eighth time
- India, Australia Inks five agreements
- On his maiden visit to Australia, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has signed five agreements with Australia to enhance the bilateral relationship.
- Agreement on Social Security
To strengthen the people-to-people contacts and facilitate and regulate the regulations between the two countries with respect to social security benefits and coverage. It will provide for social security and superannuation benefits for those who have been residents of the other country on basis of equality of benefit, export of benefits and avoidance of double coverage. It will lead to greater economies and promote the flow of professionals.
- Agreement concerning Transfer of Sentenced Persons
To enhance cooperative efforts in law enforcement and administration of justice and to cooperate in the enforcement of penal sentences. It will facilitate, regulate and lay down procedures for the transfer of sentenced persons and enable rehabilitation and reintegration of sentenced persons into society.
- MOU on Combating Narcotics Trafficking and Developing Police Cooperation
To address concerns regarding illicit trafficking and drug abuse. It places priority on tackling illicit trade, diversion of precursors, asset forfeiture and drug money laundering. It will promote capacity building and help develop strategies and procedures for operations to disrupt and dismantle transnational narcotic related threats.
- MOU on Cooperation in the Field of Arts and Culture
To enhance cultural relations between the two countries in pursuance of the Cultural Agreement of 1971. It will promote cooperation through exchange of information, professional expertise, training and exhibitions in the field of culture. It will deepen understanding between the people, institutions and art genres and promote sound and sustainable artistic and cultural activities.
- MOU in the Field of Tourism
To enhance the bilateral cooperation and strengthen the friendly between the people. It will encourage cooperation in tourism policy, information exchange, interaction between tourism stakeholders, training and investments in hospitality sector and promote the importance of the tourism sector in economic development and employment generation.
- Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar will receive the C.K. Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award for 2014.
- India consolidated its top rank on the ICC ODI Team Rankings after sweeping the series against Sri Lanka.
You may also like to Read