Daily GK Potion – 16th October 2014
- Arvind Subramanian appointed as Chief Economic Adviser
- Arvind Subramanian an IIM-Ahmedabad alumnus, is a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington.
- “For any economy like India, the two big things are macro economic stability and of course creating conditions for rapid investment and growth. While creating opportunity for all segments of Indian society, no one should be left out of this process,” Subramanian told reporters.
- Rajasthan chief secretary Rajiv Mehrishi appointed as economic affairs secretary
- PM Modi launches Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay Shramev Jayate Karyakram with string of labour reforms
- PM launched Shram Suvidha Portal, Universal Account Number & Inspection Scheme.
- Shramev Jayate will enable portability through Universal Account Number for EPF subscribers from the organized sector.
- These schemes are launched to end ‘inspector raj’ and to ensure ease of business.
- Abdullah Abdullah elected new CEO of Afghanistan.
- ISRO successfully launched navigation satellite IRNSS 1C
- ISRO launched its third navigation satellite IRNSS 1C to move closer to set up its own navigation system at par with Global Positioning System (GPS) of US.
- IRNSS 1C is part of the series of seven satellites Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch to put in place what is called the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System.
- The first two satellites in the series – IRNSS 1A and IRNSS 1B were launched in July last year and April this year respectively.