Daily Dose – 6: GK updates for SBI PO
- The International Buddhist Conference 2014 was held from 15 November to 18 November 2014 in Lumbini, Nepal.
- Veteran classical vocalist Pt Jasraj has been conferred with the Sumitra Charat Ram Award for Lifetime Achievement.
- Bollywood ‘Queen’ Kangana Ranaut has been named as the new brand ambassador of a leading online fashion store, Myntra.com.
- SAIL Chairman CS Verma received IIM- JRD Tata Award for Excellence in Corporate leadership.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank will acquire ING Vysya Bank in an all-stock deal.
- India clinched the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Women’s Championship, outclassing Nepal 6-0 at the Jinnah Stadium.
- Year 2015-16 to be observed as water conservation year.
- Deepak Gupta appointed as new chairman of UPSC.
- The National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) has given in-principle approval for creation of Guru Ghasidas-Tamor Pingla tiger reserve in Chhattisgarh.
- VAPE is named Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2014.
- India’s chief hockey coach Terry Walsh quit from his position after his contractual talks with Hockey India.
- IBM has launched its new e-mail application ‘Verse’ for businesses.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) conferred with the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2014.
- The Deutsche Bank has won Custodian of the Year 2014 award.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has withdrawn the recognition granted to Delhi Stock Exchange (DSE) upon finding ‘serious’ irregularities at the functioning of the exchange.
- Kathak queen Sitara Devi died at age of 94.
- Switzerland led by Roger Federer has defeated France to win their first-ever Davis Cup of Tennis.
- Two Kerala-born Indian Catholics Father Kuriakose Elias Chavara and Sister Euphrasia have been canonised by Pope Francis at St Peter’s Square in Vatican.
- India and the UNSECO signed a letter of intent for better cooperation in the field of reducing disaster risks and capacity-building In Earth Sciences.
- The first ever bus service from India to Nepal has been flagged off by Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari.
- Indian Women Boxer, Sarjubala Devi has won Silver medal in the World Women’s Boxing Championships held in Jeju City, Korea.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has become the first bank to get the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) permission to set up a wholly-owned non-life insurance company
- Michael Phelps awarded ‘Male Athlete of the Year’ for a fifth time at the 2014 USA Swimming Golden Goggle Awards.
- Sania Mirza announced as UN Women Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia.
- Pakistani author Bilal Tanweer has won the 2014 Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize for his novel The Scatter Here Is Too Great.
- Shah Rukh Khan appointed as the brand ambassador of DHFL.
- Justice Chandramauli Kumar (CK) Prasad chosen as the next chairperson of the Press Council of India.
Read next : Daily Dose – 7: GK updates for SBI PO ››
Read previous: « Daily Dose – 5: GK updates for SBI PO